Monday, December 3, 2007

Fish Prints

Yesterday Margaret and I got to meet Annie Sessler of East End Fish Prints. Annie does this amazing thing with fish, real fish, and it ends up looking like this:


According to her website, fish printing--or gyotaku--was developed by Japanese fishermen as a way to record their catch in the days before photography. Annie's husband knew about it and showed her how it works and now she makes her living doing this while her husband goes out and catches the fish, which they then eat for dinner. It's a very economical and efficient system.

We first learned about them on CBS' Sunday Morning news show which is one of our favorites. The story aired a couple weekends ago and I looked her up, found out she would be in town yesterday at the Holiday Crafts Park Avenue show. When we got to her booth, she was in the back breastfeeding her seven-week-old boy. Though this flustered me, she wasn't bothered by my presence and wanted to carry on an extensive conversation en media feed. I acted cool and we talked fish and I told her about the time a five-foot barracuda tried to jump into my boat while fishing in the Bahamas. Anyway, after deciding we were spending way too much money, we ended up getting a print of a mahi-mahi and the green grouper above (both of which I've caught numerous times in Florida and both of which are delicious to eat). One of them is a gift for my father and the other is a gift probably for us.

No comments: